Haiti Food Security Survey
Gathering data to help increase food production and distribution
About the Haiti Food Security Survey
PLEASE COMPLETE SURVEY BY AUGUST 17th, 2020
WHO IS THE SURVEY FOR?
The survey is open to all cooperatives, associations, NGOs, agribusinesses, faith groups, foundations and Government agencies involved in:
- smallholder food production
- smallholder seed banks
- food distribution
WHAT ARE THE GOALS?
1) to get precise data regarding current smallholder food production;
2) to learn exactly what it would take to significantly increase smallholder food production, and to quantify that potential increase on a crop-by-crop basis;
3) to obtain details about the operation of community seed banks connected to food production, and how they might be expanded;
4) to get detailed information about existing food distribution programs, including how much is currently purchased locally; and
5) to learn exactly what it would take to increase local procurement for food distribution programs, and to quantify that potential increase on a crop-by-crop basis.
HOW WILL THE DATA BE USED?
The hope is that the information gathered will complement the three key existing platforms dealing with food security in Haiti: Coordination Nationale de la Sécurité Alimentaire, OCHA Humanitarian Response and Food Security Cluster.
WHAT IS THE BACKGROUND?
The overall context for this survey is set out in a May 7th online article “Integrating Emergency Food With Smallholder Recovery in Haiti.”
WHAT WILL YOU NEED TO COMPLETE THE SURVEY AND HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE?
We estimate that it will take you an average of 40 minutes to complete the survey. If you are completing the sections on Food Production and/or Seed Banks, it will help if you have access to details of projected yields, broken down by crop. But if you have to look up information in order to complete any questions, you can save the survey at any time and come back to fill in the remaining items. You can also download PDFs of the questions in each section (see “Instructions” sidebar below) to aid in organizing your answers.
Only complete the sections and questions that apply to your organization.
SAVING & EDITING:
At various points in the survey you will have the option to “save your results and quit for now”. At that point you click “yes” and then “next”. A new page will show up where you click “submit”, even though your form is incomplete. You will automatically receive an email from “Google Forms” with your saved survey and you can click “edit response” in the body of that email in order to either complete and/or edit your survey.
We request that all crop volumes be listed in kilograms, with the exception of dairy products. To convert to kilograms: 1MT = 1,000 kgs and 1lb = 0.45 kgs.
PRINTOUT OF QUESTIONS:
To assist you in gathering information to complete the online survey, you can download a PDF of the questions from each section (these PDFs can’t be used to complete the survey):
If you have a question about completing this form, please send an email explaining the issue to:
You can also use the contact form on the homepage (make sure to save and submit your results first).
We request that all survey forms be completed by August 17th, 2020.